Here is a lovely piece, that I did in fact photograph as I went along. This piece started off life as an old thimble shelf, which I picked up from a local Jumble.
the first thing I then did was remove some of the partitions so that I had larger spaces to display some objects.
I gave it a light sanding & then began the task of finding objects in my stash that I wanted to display! someone asked me recently, “do I draw out my ideas, before starting”, well the answer to that is no, I personally prefer to rummage & take it from there. obviously I have a rough idea of my plans, but that is in my head, I feel it helps not to have set ideas, as I am a perfectionist & would spend far too much time rummaging to get exactly what I want, this way I remain more flexible & it means I can get on with my piece quicker (as patience is not in my vocabulary, lol!!)
once I had chose some bits & bobs, which amongst other things included handmade polymer clay tiles, a polystyrene heart, mdf wings (which I had lined to give more dimension & painted), a lovely resin crown piece which I had from an old trinket box I dismantled, & many other bits. I then started by painting the whole piece in black gesso & then moved on to embossing some more metal sheets & metal tape sheets with some of the lovely embossing images I have. I then aged the pieces & chose various ones for each section, which I glued in place.
Next I arranged & attached the polymer clay tiles.
once the cabinet was completed & dry, I started assembling all the pieces that I wanted to display in the individual sections. I had decided that the piece was going to be in a reliquary style, so lots of crosses & religious images were required. I found images amongst some of my vintage books & used small frames which I aged to display them, I altered the heart & embedded a cross in the centre & made some barbed wire to wrap around it. I made some mini candles from wax pellets. I knew I wanted to add a goblet to symbolise the blood of Christ , well that’s when the problems began , as I previously stated if I have set ideas I can’t stop until I find it!!! I searched online for hours to see if I could find a dolls house goblet, but to no avail, then as I was standing deep in thought looking out of my bedroom window, I spotted one of my old perfume decanters had a lid section that looked very much like a goblet, so that’s what it became tee hee. I really love the way this came out & so did Emma the customer who snapped this straight up.